I'm far from expert on these things, but here's what I think I'm seeing when
looking at your tcpdump output:

client makes request for pxelinux.0 to 10.0.1.4 on tftp port 69
10.0.1.4 responds from port 32800

Already this appears odd. Shouldn't 10.0.1.4 respond from port 69? Perhaps
you could boot a client on the local network and run tcpdump there. I
suspect you would only see packets from 10.0.1.4.69 >

We then see the client connecting to 10.0.1.4 on port 32800, but no
subsequent response from the server. The client then requests pxelinux.0
from the server on port 69, but this request originates from the client's
port 2071, rather than 2070 as before, indicating that it has given up on
the first request and is trying to start over.

I suspect that one of two things is happening:

1. The server is responding from port 69 but the vpn device on the server's
end is rewriting its packets so they appear to come from port 32800. I don't
think this is the case, because those packets are in response to an incoming
connection attempt from the client. This would be akin to trying to connect
to a web site on port 80 and having the site respond back on another port.
It just wouldn't work. If your vpn router is doing this then it is seriously
flawed.

2. The tftp server is supposed to respond from port 32800. The client then
attempts to connect back to the server on port 32800 but one of your vpn
routers is blocking that traffic. Is your ipsec tunnel setup to allow
packets on all ports in both directions?

What machine created that tcpdump output that you posted? Perhaps a quick
diagram of your network layout would be enlightening.

db