I thought I would just like to share a recent experience with thie list and
invite comments. I am ICT coordinator at Skegness Grammar School in England
and I have been running an LTSP network for 7 years. For the last 4 years the
whole school has been LTSP (about 190 clients on 3 application servers, each
dual core dual Zeon with 8 Gb RAM and scsi disks). We have done all our
teaching of computing using this setup. 90 students in three rooms could log
on at the start of a lesson and be working in under 2 minutes - no network
bandwith problems - using Gnome with nothing disabled.
Now.......
I decided to upgrade all the application servers to the most recent UBuntu and
the LTSP5 that came with it to get new versions of apps and sound working out
of the box so that we could do multiledia. We have just had two days of hell
once the kids started logging on.
log on times in the order of 4-8 minutes, some not even managing it. Firefox
refusing to start for an entire class except one student. Load values of 12
and more with cpu's at less than 50% usage. USB storage access broken. I have
never seen an LTSP install so slow. Virtually unworkable in a teaching
environment. Bare in mind that the only thing that changed was the OS and
LTSP version.
Luckily I got the sysadmin to retain the old hard disks with our previous
setup so after I had a disastrous first lesson today we have had to yank the
new hard disks and revert to the old setup - works beautifully now.
What is going on?
LTSP has been rock solid and fast for the last 7 seven years. When we tested a
couple of terminals before the kids hit it, the new system seemed fast and
stable, but then these problems only manifest when under real load.
Kind Regards
Garry