I was trying out some old P3 and P2 machines as thin clients and found some
strange inconsistencies in booting.  The P3 machines would not boot properly
with the Thinstation universal boot cd (I believe it uses etherboot code).
They would, however, boot with a gPXE boot cd from www.rom-o-matic.net.

Those same P3 machines would also not boot when I used an etherboot NIC that I
got from disklessworkstations.com.  The P2, however, boots fine with that
etherboot NIC.

All of this testing was with LTSP 5 on Debian Lenny.  My chroot environment is
up-to-date as of yesterday, and I ran ltsp-update-kernels.  In all cases where
the thin clients did not boot, they hung after the "bunch of dots" part of the
boot process.

All of these thin clients and boot media work fine on my LTSP 4.2 system.  The
etherboot NIC in particular has been used in many different thin clients over
the years (on LTSP 4.2) and has always booted fine.

Any ideas what could cause this?  Is there a bug in the etherboot kernel?

-Rob