Hello All,

A step closer to the solution. I discovered the following:

After installing the drivers as per instructions at:
1 http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1020_Plus and
2 http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/

Note that the default print drivers packaged with the distribution may
not work as stated at 2 above.

Thereafter, transfer the firmware file sihp1020.dl from a
desktop/workstation system on which the printer has been installed as
per instructions given at 2 onto the thin-client using scp.
For. e.g. :
On the thin-client to which the printer is connected and turned on
switch to one of the shells at Alt+F1 ... Fn -
# scp ltspsrvad...@192.168.0.1:/usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1020.dl /tmp/
# cat /tmp/sihp1020.dl > /dev/usblp0

Now print as you like via network/cups, etc

Hence the problem is that to print to printers like HP Laserjet 1020, HP
Laserjet 1020 Plus, HP Laserjet P1007, HP Laserjet P1050 and the like,
we need to first load the firmware whenever the printer is turned on.
This happens automatically on hot-plug enabled workstations and now we
need to figure out how to do it on the thin-clients.

I think RCFILE_0n where 1<=n<10 or LDM rc scripts (may not be preferred
as it is not exactly related to LDM)be used for doing the same?

Any head-ups, hints, solutions ;-) shall be highly appreciated while I
continue my work on it.

Regards,
SB

--
Shrenik Bhura
IntelliAnt: Consulting and Development of Free / Open Source Software