Hi All,

I've recently been asked to come up with a Server/Client solution on Ubuntu
Hardy 8.04 and came across the following seemingly simple Server/Fat Client
setup:

http://www.nubae.com/ltsp-linux-terminal-server-project-netbooted-fat-client
-for-ubuntu-hardy-and-intrepid

I installed and setup the basic LTSP and used a thin client to get a basic
understanding of the technology, this worked first time but I'm having issue
with the fat client.

I had to remove mplayer and real_player etc. from the fat client plugin
script because the Ubuntu repositories it uses did not have them. Once I had
cleared that hurdle I was able to create the chroot fati386 and build the
image.

When the client boots the gdm never starts, I get a blank screen with a '_'
character in the top left hand corner. If I go to Ctrl+Alt F1 - I can see it
has paused on 'Starting Gnome Display Manager' it never gets to [OK].

I've seen places in forums/blogs etc. where they have said to add a
startgdm.sh script to the fati386 and add it to lts.conf, this calls 'gdm
restart' and then a call to 'gdm'.

I've done this in fati386 and rebuilt it. The problems are:

-          It still starts up with a '_' in the top left hand corner

-          The GDM seems to load and the screen and waiting cursor appears
but then it goes back to the '_' screen

-          I have to hit Ctrl+Alt F7 to switch to the GDM login screen

-          The GDM shows the login screen, the mouse works but the keyboard
does nothing. As soon as I press a key it looks like it just crashes the
GDM.

Does anyone have any idea why the gdm is crashing? What sort of spec should
the server have and would it crash if it were unable to mount the nfs /home?

Regards,

Tim