On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 09:25:49AM -0700, syn wrote:
> "poweroff -f" forces halt to run, which isn't the cleanest way to shut
> things down. "-f" might be related to an issue lns noticed with thin
> clients not being able to power back up after shutdown (that has yet
> to be completely verified). "poweroff -p" should be no different than
> "poweroff" because poweroff is "halt -p".
>
> I'd argue that "poweroff -p" should be changed to "shutdown -h now" as
> to allow the shutdown to take care of everything smoothly. Is there a
> reason *not* to just use the standard and recommended method of
> "shutdown"?

Typically, with a thin client, once you've logged out, hitting the power button
should just "turn it off" immediately, as there's nothing running in the
background such as a database, or a web server, etc.  Running a full shutdown
will actually take a few seconds, and some users may find that disconcerting,
especially if they're used to hitting the power button and it immediately
powers off.

We have about 7.735026654556x10^6452 variables now in lts.conf, one supposes an
"LDM_SHUTDOWN_COMMAND" or the like with a default to "poweroff -fp" would be
the way to go, and people with buggy acpi bioses can then sub in shutdown -h
now or whatever they prefer.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | He that breaks a thing to find out what it is
Systems Department | has left the path of wisdom.