Only an idea for the user's login problem:

Did you add the ssh-keys correctly? Actually ldm should give you the
error: "This Client isn't authorized to connect to this Workstation"
(or something similar). However, I always just got: "No response from
server, restarting.". Make sure you have the public ssh keys into your
/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts. Add them with server IP and name! I had some
other problems when I added only the name of the server - even though
name server worked and was configured correctly!
Stupid question, but can you login with the test user normally via ssh?

Peter