Dear LTSP users,

when it comes to convince somebody of LTSP the usability and feeling
is crucial. After setting the chroot up we started testing. And here
the real problems begin. Our users are scientists, they work for hours
in front of their monitor and they are *sorry* pissed if the computer
is somewhat sluggish or unusable.
We have enormous problems using Java programs like xmaple and others.
Some are usable, some not. I am aware of the bug here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ia32-libs/+bug/277069 and
installed the libxcb package of Ubuntu karmic which improved the speed
a lot. But still it sucks to work with thin clients somehow.

- moving windows is sometimes decelerated
- firefox dropdown menus still open slowly sometimes (not in konqueror)
- input in some java programs like xmaple lags - the program is not usable
- videos are not shown with enough fps

I have analyzed the traffic a little bit. If you move a window like
gnome-terminal traffic jumps to 5-6 MB/s sometimes. CPU of xorg goes
up to 45%, ssh uses 20%. If one uses xmaple or other Java programs
load goes up to 1.15 which is too much for a single core terminal,
traffic jumps to 14-15 MB. This is more than maximum for a 100 MBit/s
connection, which is still kind of standard (but tested with GBit/s).

We use:
Ubuntu Jaunty for servers and chroot
terminals have sempron 2100+ (that's not really slow for a terminal)
ATI X1200 with free radeon driver
the server I used for testing has more than enough power: 8 cores and 16GB RAM

I also tried hpn-ssh http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/
with no sufficient result.
So the problem is:

In many cases (like moving a window etc.) xorg and ssh use too much
cpu. We changed ssh encryption to blowfish which helped only a little.
What can I do to improve this situation. I ran out of ideas. One
important program which doesn't work, is enough to make this project
rubbish. All my work was for nothing and that would be very
disappointing.

Thank you very much.

Peter