ltsp-update-image is used when you update the chroot, like when you:
- activate the root account, change it's passwd
- install ssh, vnc, etc. or any application in the chroot, that must be run
by
the thin client hardware
- do an apt-get uprade
- install a backported driver
- other cases

Thanks for the explanation. Guess this give me an oppurtunity to learn more
about chroot and LTSP. I am sorry if my questions sounds very basic. You
told me that ltsp-update-image is used when we make changes to chroot,
kindly tell me what is the correct procedure to install new applications for
LTSP clients. Say for example, i have to introduce JAVA for all LTSP
clients. I don't login as root at all, infact the root account is still
locked and i use the first user account created during installation and I do
sudo apt-get install or use the GUI tool to install applications like Java,
VNC etc.. and then run ltsp-update-image. Now, this updates the LTSP image
that is downloaded everytime a LTSP client boots, does this also mean that
the changes are made to chroot?

*Or should i install applications in chroot? what is the difference?* Coz,
when i install any new application on the server it reflects on the LTSP
client anyways even without running ltsp-update-image.

The thin-client doesn't mount anything.
Try thinking like this: When you ssh to your server, from your home, you can
mount and umount the
server's disk or partitions. Your computer doesn't mount anything on the
server.

> coz on the server some > other user account has logged in and his
permissions should be in
> place and not of the user account on LTSP client, isn't it?

But if you plug something on the server, if it is not yet mounted, any user
can mount it (if he is in the right group).

Something is not clear:  who mount the usb stick ? only one user at a time
can mount it.

I am aware that LTSP client doesn't mount anything and everything happens on
the server. I am thinking in terms of security bcoz of the following.
Imagine I have logged in as user account *'abc'* on the server and i insert
a usb stick and this user  'abc' has complete privileges on this usb stick.
After this a user 'xyz' logs in from a LTSP client, how can the user account
'xyz' have write priviliges or the same rights on the USB stick inserted or
mounted by some other user that too on the server??? this is what is
happening on my server and LTSP clients? All the user accounts created are
on their default groups and no extra groups are added nor changed?

Thanks again
Avinash