Hi everybody,

here's the challenge: Get LTSP to work smoothly with a 64bit server running
Debian Etch and Thin Clients that support 24" TFTs (1920x1200) plus sound
and USB support.

Dare to read on? ;-)

Long(er) version: I'm trying to get LTSP to run on a Debian 4 (Etch) system.
The server is 64-bit and the Thin Client(s) are 32-bit. I can create a
working setup with the normal packages from the Debian repository using the
"--arch i386" Option to ltsp-build-client. So far so good :) but...

...there are a couple of drawbacks:

- The graphics card in the Thin Client I'm testing with (which is a VIA
  model in a HP t5630 in case you're interested) isn't supported out of the
  box.
- Sound and local USB-sticks don't seem to work out of the box.

Using backports, as described in the Debian Wiki¹ doesn't seem to work
because there are no 64-bit packages available, so I though'd I'd give the
Debian 5 (Lenny) version a go. Here's how:

1) create client setup on a Lenny machine
2) copy everything over to the right places on the server (this means the
   stuff from the NFS share + TFTP directory)
3) edit etc/lts.conf
4) edit etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts
5) (re)boot the client

Now the clients boots up and displays a pretty LDM login screen. Great! I
can login with my credentials on the server (ldm.log says "Established ssh
session.") but then the X display goes black an that's it. Ooops. :-( Looks
like something is missing (ldm.log says "Process returned no status").

What do I need to add to the server? ltspfs Package? Is there one out there
that'll work? Anything else?

Has anyone been there? Any ideas?

TIA, Robert

¹ http://wiki.debian.org/LTSP/Howto/Etch-With-Backports