On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Vagrant Cascadian <vagr...@freegeek.org> wrote:

> essentially, it completely compromises the security of ssh. ssh and other
> public-key encryption relies on the fact that the secret key is actually
> secret. exporting those secret keys over insecure protocols such as NBD and
> NFS
> compromise that.

Are you saying that anybody with network access could get those keys
over NBD or NFS? Would they need shell access on a PXE-booted machine,
or would it suffice to use any network-connected machine with NFS or
NBD ability?

Personally I don't see this a a significant risk in my environment,
nor do I see much at stake if somebody did gain ssh access to my thin
clients. Nevertheless, I would like to better understand the risk for
future reference, and I think it bears elucidating for ltsp users in
general.

db