If all they really need is a web browser, you could install firefox and
a window manager, say, xfwm4, in the chroot and write a screen script
that launches it on boot.  If you make firefox the foreground
application, then if it is closed, xinit will cause X to restart and
launch back into firefox.  Alternatively, you could run firefox in an
infinite loop.

If the thin clients are too low-power to run firefox locally, you can
follow the same methodology on the server, creating a script that looks
something like this:

#!/bin/sh

TMPDIR=$(mktemp -d /tmp/.kiosk-XXXXXX)
cp -a /usr/local/share/.mozilla ${TMPDIR}
cp -a ${HOME}/.Xauthority ${TMPDIR}
export HOME=${TMPDIR:-/root}

xfwm4 &
firefox

rm -rf ${TMPDIR} 2>/dev/null

pkill -u $USER
exit 0

and then create a .desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions/kiosk.desktop
Then, you can force the workstation's session to "kiosk" and have it
autologin.  The script above will also copy a "golden" .mozilla
directory from /usr/local/share/.mozilla

Enjoy,

-Gadi

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 14:51 -0600, David Burgess wrote:
> Is there a preferred or more-developed method of running a web kiosk?
> I have some thin clients that are running a full desktop, but really
> only need a browser.
>
> I'm thinking about the possibility of automatically launching them
> straight into a fullscreen browser. Looks like Internet Explorer and
> Firefox both have kiosk or fullscreen modes available, but it also
> looks like both are easily escaped using alt-F4 or other means. I'm
> not particularly worried about security at this point (we have other
> measures in place), but I'm concerned that if some user unwittingly
> kills the browser and has no desktop environment to fall back on, the
> thin client will be effectively useless until a reboot (and most users
> will simply not touch it if that's the case, in my estimation).
>
> Is there a method that people are using that essentially 'traps' a
> user in the browser?Something that works well with ltsp, preferably?
> I'm open to rdesktop or pure linux solutions.
>
> db

Gideon Romm | Proud LTSP Developer
l...@symbio-technologies.com

Pay It Forward!
Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM + Symbiont Boot Stick = $275
10% of order goes to school or open source project of your choice!

Buy yourself a lab or office and use your donation to set up a school,
pay for a desperately needed feature added to a software package,
or sponsor part of LTSP's annual developer's conference LTSP-by-the-sea!

Check out:  http://www.symbio-technologies.com/payitforward