Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> as someone who is increasingly playing with IPv6, I thought I might raise
> this question in LTSP just to see what the situation is.  I know anyone who
> need LTSP to be IPv6 capable, but I guess it's something that should be
> somewhere on a roadmap.
>
> At some point (in quite a while), people are going to want to start turning
> off IPv4 services.  Less far off perhaps, is the day when a few websites or
> other services might appear which are available over IPv6 only.  In a pure
> thin client, the LTSP server is all that needs IPv6 in this instance.
> However, firefox running as a local app would mean the thin client would
> need IPv6.  I would expect that to "just work" if router advertisements
> were seen and the connectivity worked.  It works on most disk-based linux
> images after all.
>
> There's a few questions then:
>
> 1. Can one PXE boot purely over IPv6?  Do you need DHCP6 or could one get
>    away with stateless autoconfig (probably not?)?

PXE doesn't support IPV6 and I don't think it'll in the near future as
that'd require a change to all existing and upcoming BIOS.

> 2. Do any PXE enabled network cards actually support IPv6?  Perhaps a
>    PXE image on a floppy even?

Not that I know of, even gPXE doesn't seem to support it (and it's AFAIK
the most complete PXE-like boot image).

> 3. Assuming the hardware could deal with it, how much of the LTSP boot
>    process would break if the server only had an IPv6 address?

I'd suspect none, during my tests here and as part of the design for the
next ltsp-cluster infrastructure, everything can be IPV6 aware and very
likely IPV6-exclusive, except the PXE part.

> I'm not suggesting this should all work right now, I'm just curious to know
> how far LTSP is from working over IPv6.

The way I think IPV6 will work with LTSP when we get there is:
 - PXE boot using a regular IPV4 setup and get the kernel + initrd from
that (extremely short lease as that only need to last for 30s or so)
 - initrd does the IPV6 setup (radvd or dhcpv6)
 - boot continues in IPV6-only

So basically, you still need IPV4 dhcp and tftp server but the chroot
itself can be IPV6-only, that should work correctly and I don't see any
reason why it wouldn't work already (other than the minimal change in
the initrd required to get rid of the IPV4 dhcp).

> Gavin

- --
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer