On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 06:07:19PM -0500, Eric Thibodeau wrote:
> > For the most part, LTSP does a very good job of detecting what hardware???s
> > on
> > your thin client. However, it???s possible that you may want to manually
> > specify
> > a kernel module to load after boot.
>
> ...._after boot_ ...which implies you got past the NFSroot mounting...which
> he can't since he doesn't have the correct NIC driver from what I can read.

Correct.  PXE and DHCP get the kernel and initramfs to the system.  From
there it tries to detect hardware and then loads modules from initramfs.
But since it (appears to -- I could be wrong) pick the tg3 driver over
the 3Com driver, it's halted at the network mount of /.

> ET
> On 2010-01-27, at 5:57 PM, Xavier Brochard wrote:

> >> Is there a way I can force specific modules to be loaded by LTSP
> >> clients?  That would at least allow me to test whether that it the only
> >> problem I have.
> >
> > See chapter 12 of the documentation:
> > http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ltsp/index.php?title=Ltsp_LtspDocumentationUpstream
> > Some extract below:
> >
> > Modules and startup scripts
> > ==================
> > For the most part, LTSP does a very good job of detecting what hardware???s
> > on
> > your thin client. However, it???s possible that you may want to manually
> > specify
> > a kernel module to load after boot. Alternatively, you may have a script
> > you???ve written that you???ve put in the chroot, and want to make sure
> > gets run
> > at startup. LTSP provides some hooks to allow you to do this.
> >
> > MODULE_01...MODULE_10 string, default unset
> > Up to 10 kernel modules can be loaded by using these con???guration
> > entries. The
> > entire command line that you would use when running insmod can be
> > speci???ed
> > here. For example:
> > MODULE_01 = uart401.o
> > MODULE_02 = "sb.o io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1"
> > MODULE_03 = opl3.o
> >
> > If the value of this parameter is an absolute path name, then insmod will
> > be
> > used to load the module. Otherwise, modprobe will be used.
> > In normal circumstances, you shouldn???t need to specify anything here, as
> > most
> > hardware will be auto-detected.
> >

> > Xavier
> > xav...@alternatif.org - 09 54 06 16 26

> > For additional LTSP help,   try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net

-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
        Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.