From: David Burgess [mailto:apt....@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 4:43 PM
To: ltsp-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Ltsp-discuss] mitigating the effects of RDP logon refreshes

If you use ltsp (or any other rdesktop solution) for connecting to a
Windows terminal server, then you will have noticed that the logon
screen refreshes itself at a regular interval, something like every
minute on Server 2008, and more frequently than that on R2. I assume
this is because the server is killing the logon session and the client
is forced to reestablish it.

We have 16 thin clients connecting to a 2008 terminal server and the
cumulative effect of this constant reconnecting is a baseline CPU
usage averaging around 35% across all four cores (dual-dual Xeon
5...@2.66ghz), with regular spikes up to 100% on all cores
simulatneously. Even between spikes, usage generally hovers somewhere
above 0 in the task manager. It is bad enough that a client that is
logged in and doing light web browsing will actually lower the CPU
usage in some cases. This annoyed me and I went looking for a way to
disable the constant reconnecting. No such luck (apparently you can
rewrite gina.dll to change this behaviour).

So I went looking for alternative workarounds and may have found
something that helps. I downloaded Microsoft's Interrupt-Affinity
Policy Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/IntPolicy.mspx)
and tied the NIC to a single processor. Just like that, my average CPU
utilization has dropped below 10%. Looking at task mananger, I'm still
getting synchronous CPU spikes across all 4 cores (mostly kernel
time), but the spikes are far less frequent, with CPU usage returning
to 0 in between.

This result is preliminary, and of course totally unscientific, but
the effect was immediate and obvious enough that it warrants some
attention. I'd like to know if anybody else has tried this or other
tricks to mitigate the effects of the eternally reloading Windows
logon screen.

db