I think you're going about this the wrong way.  The essence of LTSP is that the
clients load a tiny OS from the server, and then applications run on the server
and just display on the clients.  If your clients are hearty enough, individual
applications can be designated to actually run on the clients, lessening the
load on the server.

None of this works well over the internet, so booting thin clients this way is
out.  However, fat clients do have some options.  One is VNC, as you mentioned.
  VNC can be tunneled over SSH; some VNC clients even come with SSH support
built in.  An even slicker approach is use NX which is a stripped down X
suitable for use over the internet.  NoMachine (www.nomachine.com) has
free-as-in-beer servers, and clients for Windows, Mac and Linux; the FreeNX
project (freenx.berlios.de) provides a free-as-in-speech-and-beer
implementation
of the server.

Peter