Here's the message I get from the ltsp when I try to log in directly.  Maybe
it will help.

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup.

Usage:  lpoptions  [-h server]  [-E]  -d printer

               lpoptions  [-h server]  [-E]  [ -p printer]  -l

               lpoptions  [-h server]  [-E]  -p printer   -o option[=value]
.

               lpoptions  [-h server]  [-E]  -x printer

Setting IM through in-switch for locale=en US.

Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL Linked to
/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.mkdtemp:  private socket dir:  Too many
links

Amos Nimmo

Work: 507-453-5000 ext. 5199