Guys,

If you are having video problems on a newer distro, always make sure
compiz is disabled on the server first. 9 times out of 10, it is the
source of the problem. You can disable it on the server with this:

 if compiz is giving you problems, one way to disable it for all users
is: sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type string --set
/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager metacity

I always start there before tearing my hair out on the client.

HTH,

-Gadi

--
Gideon Romm