On 11/04/2010 01:39 PM, john wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Jeff Siddall <n...@siddall.name> wrote:
>
>> By far the cheapest dual core CPU client would be the Intel D510MO.
>> Complete systems with 2 GB RAM and a case/PS can be had for about $200.
>>  After that AMD is probably your best bet for price/performance.  Their
>> dual core Athlon II 45 W TDP processors start in the low $40's:
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103908
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> Thank you Jeff. Very helpful. Do you have a preferred case/ps you use
> with the D510MO boards?

I personally like the Mini-box M350 just because it is small and has
versatile mounting options:

http://www.mini-box.com/M350-enclosure-with-picoPSU-80-and-60W-adapter

I have one with a D510MO in it, and although you are supposed to use a
fan for all but the lowest powered boards, I have found it runs OK
without one if there is adequate convection.

The other decent looking case I have seen (but not tried) is a Chenbro:

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/pc78131

> Also do you have any experience with the Nvidia ION GPU's shipping on
> some low priced mini itx's?

No.  These tend to make too much heat to be used in a fanless case, and
of course they use nVidia graphics, which I have had nothing but
headaches with.

Unless you really need accelerated video decoding (ex: VDPAU) or really
fast 3D graphics the on-board Intel stuff is usually adequate.

One more thing that might throw a wrench into your plans: keep in mind
that almost all Linux desktop apps are single threaded.  That means for
almost everything a typical user does a single core Atom will be just as
fast as a dual core.  The dual core can offer a marginal improvement to
a single app by essentially dedicating a core to a hungry thread, but
the benefit there is usually minimal.

I rather like these boxes myself:

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/jt_t_1610

They are by far the smallest mini-ITX based client.  Other than these I
only have one dual core client and it is decoding multiple webcam
streams.  That works nicely with a dual core CPU but that is one of the
rare cases that can use the capability.

If you really want fast localapps I would recommend a high clock speed
single core mainstream desktop CPU (ie: AMD/Intel).  You might want to
consider DRBL also if you have fast clients.

Jeff