On Saturday 06 November 2010 01:16:58 ltsp-discuss-
requ...@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> > > I'm in the process to update the server of one of my customers. It is a
> > > small non-profit company.
> > > The server will run LTSP (Debian Squeeze) with KDE4 or Gnome
> > > + a virtualized Windows 2003 (or 2008) with 3 applications accessed
> > > seamlessly with rdesktop.
> > > + a web proxy cache, because they have a very low ASDL line (squid ?)
> > >

> > > But I didn't followed the list since june and I need some advices:
> > >

> > > - I plan to buy a server with 2 CPUs (2 sockets) because of bandwith. I
> > > think that multi-core CPUs are not sufficient. Am I wrong? in such a
> > > small company, can a single 4 core CPU do the job?
> >

> > One thing to consider would be a xeon 56xx CPU which can be had in 6
> > core/12 thread versions.  A lot cheaper than populating a whole second
> > socket but 50% more horsepower than a 4 core CPU.  6 core also seems
> > to fit nicely with your 6 users :)
>
> yes, good point
> I'm not very afraid of CPU power, except for flash or videos. Luckily the
> low  ASDL line will prevent them to see HD video on the web  ;-)
>
> But what about the virtualized windows? I thought it need to send a lot of
> datas to the CPU, and for that reason I thought that it is better to have
> 2  CPUs.
>
> > don't force
> > squid to cache over the network, it will be a pretty big bottleneck.
> > Just buy a dedicated disk for squid, with 1 TB drives for less then
> > $100 it's hard to go wrong and you don't really care if it dies.  Just
> > drop another one in and wait for squid to re-populate.  In fact the
> > quid guys recommend NOT using a RAIDed disk.

I use VirtualBox so other VM may not be relevant but on VirtualBox the guest
RAM is gone to the guest and cannot be swapped or used until the guest is
finished.
XP VMs (and a W7 trial) have no noticeable effect on the server. I generally
give one core to the guest only, but even giving it all cores seems to have no
effect.
Of course there are no free lunches: 2 VMs going flat out must and do have an
effect on the server!

But idle VMs can be forgotton
James