vagr...@freegeek.org wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 09:36:28PM +0200, Frank Lienhard wrote:
>
>> So here is what I did:
>> I installed the ltsp-server-standalone package from the Lenny repos. used
>> the 'ltsp-build-client' command, which finished with a success
>> message
>> I edited /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf and /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf as mentioned in:
>> http://wiki.debian.org/LTSP/Howto, which I followed further on (exports,
>> restarting services..)
>>

> i really wouldn't recommend using Debian Lenny for a new LTSP install. the
> new version of Debian (squeeze) was released in february, and has a much
> more current and functional LTSP.

I'm aware of this, but I'll keep it running for a while, because it's
after all the minimal time consuming way.
(I#m currently recunstructing my house, which leaves me with 2 rooms
missing. And only one place to work on the PC (the server)).
Next winter I'll set up the server new with 64bit (currendly 32bit). At
the moment I'll don't have time for a change as big as that. Having in
mind I need to choose a new Desktop environment, because KDE4 is the
biggest PITA to me since M$ Win.
> if you cannot upgrade your server, at least use LTSP from backports:
>
>   http://wiki.debian.org/LTSP/Howto/Lenny-With-Backports
>
> (Note that security support for Debian Lenny will likely be finished in
> February 2012)

Is it upgradable just by adding the backports to the sources list and do
an upgrade of the ltsp packages?

>> My client boots (with a kernel image from rom-o-matic), I get a login
>> screen. But no user is able to log in.
>>

> as alkisg mentioned, edit /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf:
>
> SCREEN_07=ldm
> SCREEN_08=shell
> SCREEN_DEFAULT=07

I solved that.
(I noticed these "client is not authorized to connect to server" in the
LDM login)
But what is very strange to me is this:

it worked after:

ltsp-update-sshkeys
ltsp-update-image (workaround for the authorization message on ubuntu systems)

while the second command is intended to be for NBD running instead of NFS.

I found out (via aptitude why) that the nbd-server is installed as dependency
of the ltsp-server-standalone,
but isn't used according to alkis hint:

"From SCREEN_08=shell on the client, run:
  grep nbd /proc/mounts

If you see a line like
  /dev/nbd0 /rofs squashfs ro,relatime 0 0
in there, then you're using NBD."

-> no line of nbd on my client (with and without a logged in user on the client)

Or am I here ?:
Practice: everything works, nobody knows why
Theory: everything is known, nothing works
Practice + Theory: nothing works, nobody knows why

Seams I'm out of Theory and have to loose Practice, to have everything working
and know why ;-)

Frank