On 08/18/2011 02:40 PM, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> the short answer is it is what we got to work at the time...

Fair enough.

> we only have a user and home directory on the thin client if localapps or
> fatclients are enabled. and it's a pretty ugly hack that enables them.

Ah.  I always enable localapps so I just assumed there was always a user
on the client.  Ugly hack or not it may make pa happy!

If you enable localapps but never actually run any localapps is there a
tangible difference between a "genuine" thin client and a localapps thin
client from the client perspective (ex: system load etc.)?

>> Further, since PA is really designed to be run as a user, could some
>> headaches be removed by not having it run in system mode (ie: not have
>> to fixup permissions etc.)?
>
> if someone has patches to improve the situation, they'd surely be considered-
> but they need to take into account genuine thin clients vs. localapps vs.
> fatclients.

Haha, yeah, unfortunately I know next to nothing about how this all
works but I guess some hacking is in my future!  I will see if I can get
pa running on the client as the logged in user and post my progress.

One option I am thinking about is to leave "genuine" thin clients like
they are now (ie: pa in system mode) but start pa as the logged in user
if running with localapps/fat clients.

Jeff