Got it....it was the load balancing agent.

  <!-- Return IP addresse as defined in the first line of hostname command -->
        <variable name="IP">
            <command>ip route get 1.2.3.4 | awk 'NR>1{exit};1{print
$NF}'</command>

Above is the relevant part of the config. The comment describes what
it's going to do and then it goes and does something else.

Works with:
<command>hostname -i</command>

Peter