Thank you so much Gideon for your prompt response! This works.

In addition, for those interested (or Googling a few years from now) the
code in question is in the initrd in scripts/ltsp_nbd and the code is as
follows:

    # get the lts.conf via tftp
    tftppath="$(echo "$filename" | sed -n 's,\"*\(.*/\)[^/]*,\1,p')"
    echo "get ${tftppath:-/ltsp/i386}/lts.conf" | /bin/tftp
${NBD_ROOT_SERVER} >/dev/null 2>&1
    if [ -s ./lts.conf ]; then
        cp ./lts.conf ${rootmnt}/etc/
    fi

I'll report back on what dnsmasq option is required for passing this info
to the second DHCP stage in LTSP boot.

Regards,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Gideon Romm
<l...@symbio-technologies.com>wrote:

> The LTSP client will look for the "filename" parameter usually passed
> by the DHCP server and use that, or if it is empty, it will try to
> find the file in /ltsp/i386/lts.conf (as seen by the tftp client).
>
> So, I suspect dnsmasq is not sending down the "filename" parameter. A
> workaround would be to make a *realtive* symlink between
> /ltsp/i386/lts.conf and /ltsp/fat-amd64/lts.conf.
>
> In other words:
>
> /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf -> ../fat-amd64/lts.conf
>
> -Gadi
>
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Jay Goldberg <jaymgoldb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Recently I changed from isc-dhcpd3 to dnsmasq in an effort to simplify
> > grouping of clients and distribution of dhcp options, in addition to the
> > much easier DNS resolution (including dynamic updates) as compared to
> BIND9.
> >
> > Unfortunately, since the change, the lts.conf file at
> > /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/fat-amd64/lts.conf is not being read, meaning
> > LOCAL_APPS_EXTRAMOUNTS=/media/shares and LTSP_FATCLIENT=false for certain
> > machines is not being respected.
> >
> > Talk on the Internet suggests that lts.conf is retrieved from the server
> > using TFTP, and copied to /etc/lts.conf on the booting client (that's
> also
> > why it's stored in tftpboot). This seems reasonable since I also enabled
> > dnsmasq's internal TFTP server instead of using tftpd-hpa . In addition I
> > changed the IP/subnet that the server is running on and updated with
> > ltsp-update-sshkeys. I've disabled splash and quiet on the client, and
> > enabled logging on dnsmasq. I can see the client getting its address,
> > downloading pxelinux.0, vmlinuz, and initrd but not lts.conf. They boot
> into
> > Ubuntu just fine.
> >
> > Looking inside the extracted initrd there doesn't appear to be any script
> > containing TFTP logic except /scripts/init-premount/udhcp. Is initrd
> where
> > lts.conf is handled?
> >
> > The example dnsmasq file @
> /usr/share/doc/ltsp-server/examples/dhcpd-dnsmasq
> > is rather outdated, but includes two dhcp-boot arguments that appear to
> > separate DHCP requests into two stages 1) for the PXE ROM 2) for the
> > initrd/later in the boot process. To make things slightly complicated, it
> > appears that the new version of dnsmasq doesn't support the "net:"
> "set:" or
> > "tag:" functions in dhcp-boot=.
> >
> > As a workaround I think I'm going to end up putting the file in
> > /opt/ltsp/fat-amd64/etc/lts.conf, but it's a messy solution.
> >
> > In summary: Does anyone know how lts.conf is called from the server and
> > copied to the client?
> > --
> > Jay Goldberg

> > For additional LTSP help,   try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net

Jay Goldberg | AvianBLUE Network Systems | (514) 667-9737 |
http://www.avianblue.net/