No comment on actual usage because I'm on 10.04LTS.

I believe that 2D acceleration is provided over the network, the X11
protocol allows the apps (clients) to be drawn by the X server that
they are being displayed on (the thin client hardware). So the actual
window border draws etcetera are accelerated. 3D however is not, it's
bitmap transferred over the network to the thin client, so the result
is that Unity does require more CPU on the thin client to transfer
that data (things like shadows around windows).

It's unfortunate that eye-candy has been associated with "modern"
because a modern desktop should be quicker than the ones from the
past. In fact the whole idea of pretty graphics is diametrically
opposed to hot technologies like cloud computing, VDI, and
anywhere-access, even low-latency, high-bandwidth links are no savoir.

Regards,

--
Jay Goldberg