Op 13-06-12 08:28, Philip Loewen schreef:
> Unfortunately I don't really understand how pulseaudio is supposed to
> work across the network. Should a pulseaudio process be running also on
> the LTSP server?

Seems like you have figured out most of it already. :-)

See pulseaudio as a sound 'server'.  It provides a way for applications
to play sound.  The applications connect to the pulseaudio server, and
pulseaudio directs that sound to an output device (a soundcard).  The
pulseaudio server should therefor always be running on the machine which
has access to the sound device.

In LTSP's case, applications running on the server, connect to
pulseaudio running on the client, and pulseaudio there sends the audio
to the local soundcard.  So the pulseaudio process should be running on
each client, and not on the server (unless you want to use the soundcard
in the server, for whatever reason - but that's another story).

You've already found the PULSE_SERVER export - that's how the server
applications know where to send their audio streams to.  You can use the
command 'pactl' to connect to and control the server specified in
PULSE_SERVER.  For example, 'pactl info' shows the status of the
pulseaudio server.  As you've already determined the server isn't
running on your client, this will not return anything useful.

And that concludes this drive-by introduction to pulseaudio in LTSP.  As
for the specific problem you're having - the question you should be
asking yourself is: what have you changed since the last time you ran
ltsp-update-image?  My experience is that usually these things do not
happen 'spontaneously', despite obvious appearances. ;-)

About your error:  the LTSP code that is responsible for starting the
pulseaudio daemon, can be found in
/opt/ltsp/<arch>/usr/share/ltsp/ltsp-init-common.  You can find some
pointers there, such as the exact arguments that LTSP uses to launch
pulseaudio.  You will see it calls pulseaudio with very different
arguments than you used in your test case, therefor your test case (and
any error messages you get from it) are unreliable.

 From the ltsp-init-common file, you can also see that LTSP instructs
pulseaudio to log to the syslog - so be sure to check /var/log/syslog on
the client.  That's where the pulseaudio startup error messages will
be.  It might be the same as your test case... but then it might just
not be. :-)

Kindest regards,

Jan Middelkoop
Recreatie en Zorg Groep B.V.