On 07/31/2012 07:49 PM, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> Do people have suggestions for the best kinds of drives to use in
> servers? My lab is all fat clients and I have /home and the rest of /
> on separate physical drives. I guess that means that the server has a
> little bit less work to do than a thin client server, but disk access
> still seems to be a bottleneck in my lab.
>
> I'll take well-researched views or just off the cuff anecdotal advice.
> Since I only have one lab, I only buy a drive every couple of years
> and feel like I'm just taking a shot in the dark.

On the anecdotal side...

I run a few servers and a few dozen fat desktops.  In the past 10 years
I have replaced the majority (as in >50%) of the "server grade" drives
and one or two desktop drives.

I had a bad batch of WD RE2 drives where all but one of the six drives
in the system failed within the 5 year warranty period.  I even had a
number of the drives which were replaced under warranty also fail again
under warranty.  I also had 3 of four the Seagate ES drives in two other
machines fail so the problem doesn't just happen to one manufacturer.

Bottom line: I couldn't find any compelling reason to buy the enterprise
grade drives, other than perhaps the warranty.  I don't think all
enterprise drives are bad but I also don't think they are anything
special.  The last server I built used a RAID1 array of desktop drives
and has been entirely trouble free.

What I would _highly_ recommend is using a variety of drive
models/manufacturers of similar capacity to build any array rather than
all one model/manufacturer.

Jeff