On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 02:22:58PM -0400, Robert Lefebvre wrote:

>  I have been able to get the clients logged into the server but the
> graphics have a broad spectrum of problems ranging from black screen, to
> severe resolution problems and even displaying the server's desktop upside
> down and reversed on the lenovo laptop.
>
> At first I was thinking all the problems had to do with the server's NVidia
> graphics card. Then I was thinking since the clients each handle their own
> graphics and the problems had to do with the downloaded gPXE file. Now I am
> thinking it is a wrong setting in the Linux iso image that is sent to the
> client when they boot telling the connecting client to operate in the wrong
> resolution.

Clients should auto-detect their graphics hardware and load the
appropriate drivers.  Yours seem to not be doing that.  Perhaps you have
an outdated version of Edubuntu (or a too-new version that has bugs).
Or maybe you're just unlucky.  Either way, you can manually specify the
drivers and resolution in lts.conf.

I think Edubuntu keeps that file in /var/lib/tftpboot, but I'm not sure.
I also think you need to run another command after editing lts.conf
(this is related to Edubuntu using a squashed image instead of NFS, like
my Debian system).  Somebody on this list is sure to know what that
command is -- I can't remember it.

Anyway, you'll want to run 'man lts.conf' to get some details on how
that file is structured.  You'll probably want to include something like
this for your problem clients:

XSERVER         = vesa
X_MODE_0        = 1280x1024

vesa is a good xserver value to start with, because it usually works.  It is
slower than others, so once you get things working you may want to try
other values.  You can specify these settings as default or per-client
(by MAC address or by hostname, I believe).

-Rob