Hi Robert,

Your question is if 6 cores are better than what exactly? What's the other
end of the spectrum in your opinion?

I advise my clients to purchase servers with 2 or more sockets, but only
populate a portion of them if they are budget constrained. This leaves you
the option to expand CPU without shelling out lots of money for every
expensive 8+ core primary CPUs because there is only one socket.

In my experience LTSP is more I/O bound on disk than anything, so 10k or
faster SAS drives are necessary for OS, and you can skimp on the drives
hosting /home.

Dedicated disk controllers with onboard battery backed cache will exclude
almost all possibility that your I/O will be clobbered by CPU contention
between userland and the kernel disk subsystem. I think this is a must.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Robert Lefebvre <
robert.r.lefeb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are going to upgrade our server and had one in mind. It has plenty of
> memory and a gigabit lan (we'll need another) but the question I had was
> about the 6 core processor it has.
>
> AMD-FX6100, 6Cores processor with 14MB cache.
> Core 1 speed = 4.0Ghz
> Core 2 speed = 4.0Ghz
> Core 3 speed = 4.0Ghz
> Core 4 speed = 4.0Ghz
> Core 5 speed = 4.0Ghz
> Core 6 speed = 4.0Ghz
> Total processing speed (6X4ghz = 24 Ghz)
> Core temperature = (70'F to 90'F )
> Heat sink and fans (AMD original copper pipes heat-sink & it support up to
> 8 cores processors with speed 4.0Ghz)
>
> We are only running 20 thin clients but want to get another 30 by year's
> end.
>
> My main question is whether the 6 cores are better for a lab. I'm thinking
> it would because requests come in from many different clients.
>

> --
> BungeeBones.com - A B2B Link Exchange - Free Links in limited locations -
> human edited and reviewed - Networked online advertising business
> opportunities available through our free, distributed web directory script

Jay Goldberg | AvianBLUE Network Systems