El 03/09/12 16:13, Robert Lefebvre escribió:
> Getting edubuntu has been one of the most exhausting exercises at what
> seems to be futility (at least right now). I talked this school to
> invest in it and it is turning into a complete failure. Since the
> beginning it has been nothing but one problem after another. Its like
> playing womp-a-mole. I fix one problem and another pops up.
>
> Earlier today I tried installing fat clients for the third time only
> to be greeted with yet another crash. This time the screen was
> completely black and I could see no sense in trying to recover it. I
> re-installed everything over again - edubuntu, apache, mysql, php,
> webmin and still have moodle and wordpress to go.
>
> The only problem is ....  yet another couple issues .....
>
> Out of six machines that were working previously two booted to the
> Edubuntu desktop but had no launchpad for the programs. Probably a
> misconfiguration somewhere.
>
> Two others boot into the desktop but then go black .... hmmmm.
>
> The other two don't want to accept the network kernel for some reason
> and miss the network boot and boot to the hard drive. I hate to say it
> but those windows screens are looking better each time.

Probably your problem is faulty cabling or switch. It is very important
for LTSP.

Sometimes network cards on the clients do not have PXE so they will not
boot.

The best decision, if you value freedom, is to stick with a distribution
that has only 100% free software. Ubuntu has nonfree software. Trisquel
is based on Ubuntu but is 100% free.

--
Saludos libres,

Quiliro Ordóñez
Presidente
Asociación de Software Libre del Ecuador - ASLE
Av de la Prensa N58-219 y Cristóbal Vaca de Castro
Quito, Ecuador
(593)2-253 5534
(593)2-340 1517
(593)8-454 8078