On 07/24/2012 07:59 PM, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Is there anything I should try with the dead drive before
> officially declaring it deceased and giving up? I could try connecting
> it to a couple of other computers and see if it shows up...

Yup.  Try it in another system, with different cables.

There are some vendors for logic boards on some drives.  I did this with
one smoked (literally!) drive and recovered all my data.  In fact it is
still in service today!  Be aware that there are enough variances on
some drives that the board vendors often need the original board sent
back so they can clone the PROM.  Still, it should be cheaper than a new
drive and may save a bunch of effort on your part (i.e.: recovering your
root partition).

> 2. What do people suggest for speediness and reliability? I run a
> 30-seat fat client lab, so the server hard drive only gets used for
> DHCP, loading the OS, programs, authentication, and routing internet
> to the clients. Should I consider an SSD (if I put /tmp and /var on
> some other drive) or is it not worth it? Same question with so-called
> "enterprise" drives? Are they worth the increased cost or should I
> just get a well-regarded consumer drive?

Enterprise drives have a better warranty, but IME they are no more
reliable than desktop drives.

I wouldn't worry about a SSD since it won't generally be the bottleneck,
except perhaps for booting, but assuming you want ~100% uptime then boot
time is not a big consideration.

What I would _highly_ recommend is buying two drives, of approximately
the same size, from different vendors and putting them into a RAID1
array.  The additional cost -- especially if you go for desktop grade
drives -- is trivial but the headaches and downtime it can save you if
one drive dies is enormous.

Jeff