Quoting James McQuillan:

> Lachele,
>
> I'll try and explain how the graphics works in a thin client environment.

snip

> I've been focusing most of my rather limited time on running things on the
> thin client.  To me, everything is moving towards being web-based and the
> thin client is becoming a platform for running a web browser.  Running the
> browser locally makes some things much better.  Sound and video perform
> very well this way. But,  it brings new challenges, like printing.  If run
> the browser on the thin client, you need to also have a printing sub-system
> installed like CUPS.
> Also, where's the users home directory?  Probably on the server, which
> means you need to use NFS or sshfs to have access to it.
>
> I should note that what I've just described in the last paragraph is really
> just a fat client.
>
> If you've got powerful enough thin clients, moving the processing down to
> the thin client can really boost the number of thin clients that a single
> server can support.  basically, the server is just a boot server. A decent
> server should be able to handle hundreds of thin clients.
>
> I hope my rather long-winded explanation helps.
>
> Jim McQuillan

What if these powerful clients ran the browsers locally (and indeed
any other app that is laboring under network latency.) That way the
client still remains thin and resources from the server are available
when needed, rather than running the clients whole hog fat. Of course
experimenting one way or another takes time. Perhaps start with just
two or three clients and experiment with altering just their
configurations.

Richard