I've configured ldap to support clients updating their own passwords,
so yes it's possible. You need to look at your ACLs on LDAP to make
sure users can update that field for themselves. It's been several
years since I did this but I can tell you without question it can be
done.

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200108/msg00374.html

I googled around for a minute and found this post that explains things
a bit. (I would suggest not using MD5 right now. Do lots of research
before choosing a password scheme, it will be vital to how your org
runs.)

You can also mount /home over nfs, I've done this too. Remember to
sqash root and generally lock it down. NFS isn't very secure without
using kerb or something.

Hex <h...@neg9.org>