-----Rüdiger Kupper <k...@kg-fds.de> skrev: -----
Till: ltsp-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net
Från: Rüdiger Kupper <k...@kg-fds.de>
Datum: 2014-04-22 10:03
Ärende: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Ang: no sound on fat clients

Hello Johan,

I believe I see the same problem on our thin clients, and I have a
theory what makes the sound break. I believe that the problem is related
to the sample rate of the sound you try to play.

Regarding your experiments with a DVB stream and youtube, I'd expect
that the DVB stream comes with 48 kHz audio sampling rate, while the
youtube video had 44.1 kHz?

I can completely reproduce your results with two sample audio files, one
with 44.1 kHz and one with 48 kHz sample rate. Here is what I see:

Test1:
- I boot up the thin client and open the 44.1 kHz file, it works.

Test 2:
- I boot up the thin client and open the 48 kHz file. From what the
player shows, it appears to play, but I have no sound.
- I close that file and open the 44.1 kHz file (the one that worked fine
in test 1), and have no sound either.
- Sound will not come back until I reboot the client.

Test 3:
- I boot up the thin client and open the 44.1 kHz file. I have sound.
- I keep this file playing (endless loop). In parallel I open the 48 kHz
file. I have sound, both files play together.

In short, my theory is that 48 kHz playback breaks pulseaudio on LTSP
clients.

So why does test 3 work? When you first play a 44.1 kHz audio stream and
in parallel open a 48 kHz stream, I believe pulseaudio will sample down
the second stream to 44.1 kHz to mix it into the already playing stream.
That's why audio works in test 3, and that also constitutes a workaround.

Workaround: Tell your users to open up a 44.1 kHz youtube video, start
to play and pause it, keep the browser window open. After that sound
will work and stay up, no matter what file they play.

This is really just a workaround, but our users were very thankful
having it (we use LTSP in classrooms, and the difference of having or
not having sound can well break or make a teacher's complete lesson...)

In any case, it would be much better to really fix the problem.

So, Johan, I'd ask you to confirm my three test cases above. I can
supply two sample mp3 files if you need, please give me a note. It will
be no difference what software you use for playback, as long as it uses
pulseaudio (VLC is fine).

If you confirm the test, we need some pulseaudio or LTSP developer to
(a) find the reason, and/or (b) tell us if pulseaudio can be set up to
generally downsample all audio to 44.1 kHz on our clients.

Looking forward to seeing your results,
best regards,
Rüdiger

--
Dr. Rüdiger Kupper <k...@kg-fds.de>
Kepler-Gymnasium Freudenstadt

For additional LTSP help,   try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net

[bilagan "signature.asc" borttagen av Johan Kragsterman/Capvert]