Thanks Vagrant and Alkis,
Per your same suggestion:
In the file at /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf, I added

LOCALDEV_DENY_INTERNAL_DISKS=false

and I removed the lines I had added which seemed to be having no effect:

LOCALDEV=True
                                        LOCALDEV_DENY_USB = false

LOCAL_STORAGE=True

saved the changes, and stopped and re-started the client machine.
As a result, when logged into the client machine I can now see the contents of
the USB hard drive with Thunar.
Thanks for the tip!
Next step: getting some corresponding hard-drive icons to appear on the desktop
as happens when I plug the USB hard drive directly into the server machine.

More info:
Logged into the client as root, when I then plugged in the USB hard drive and
obversed

(A)In /var/log/dmesg, the . . .

[sdb] No Caching mode page found[sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through

. . . message appeared three times each as before, but also this time:

NTFS-fs warning (device sdb6): parse_options(): Option utf8 is no longer
supported, using option nls=utf8. Please use option nls=utf8 in the future and
make sure utf8 is compiled either as a module or into the kernel.

(B)In the hitherto non-existant /var/run/ltspfs_fstab file (I don't have a file
at /var/log/ltspfs_fstab)
Before I even plugged in the USB hard drive there was

/dev/sda2 /var/run/drives/atadisk-sda2 ntfs defaults,utf8 0 0/dev/sda1
/var/run/drives/atadisk-sda1 ntfs defaults,utf8 0 0/dev/sda3
/var/run/drives/atadisk-sda3 vfat defaults,utf8 0 0

(which, presumably are the drives built into the client machine that I'm using)
and then, when I plugged in the USB har drive, two additional lines appeared:

/dev/sdb5 /var/run/drives/atadisk-sdb5 ext4 defaults 0 0/dev/sdb6
/var/run/drives/atadisk-sdb6 ntfs defaults,utf8 0 0

(C)I also ran

# udevadm info -q env -n /dev/sdb

which return a screen-full of information which I haven't yet figured out how
to copy-paste into this e-mail.

(D)Logged into the client as the normal user (the one I named "abba"), I could
open Thunar, as I couldn't before, navigate through the contents of the USB
hard drive.

(E)Logged into the client as the normal user, I could see the USB hard drive's
paritions and the drives on the client machine itself when I ran the

mount -l

command.

Thanks again.