On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 1:31 PM, a. <thissid...@riseup.net> wrote:
> Looking through the documentation I only ever find vague explanations of
> how high availability would work with LTSP. The scenario I have in mind
> is that the main ltsp-server crashes, but the clients can simply connect
> to one (or more) other servers where at least the file systems are
> replicated.
>
> Since we are planning to use fat clients, session management should be
> no problem here (afaik that information would live in the ram of the
> clients then anyway). Also it wouldn't be that much of a deal if the
> boot-server would smoke down too. The only real issue are the file
> systems, where we plan to have two or three main read-only roms and
> diff-images for each node using unionfs/aufs.
>
> I understand that LTSP-cluster may be what I am looking for, but as I
> see it, ltsp-cluster is not meant for provisioning a cluster, but to
> scale the ltsp-server across a cluster. In our scenario most of our
> nodes in our cluster are fat clients that should connect to the ltsp
> infrastructure.
>
> How should I go about to avoid a single point of failure using ltsp to
> host multiple fat clients?

Here are the basics of HA LTSP server cluster for serving fat-clients:

1. You need shared storage, we've use 2 node DRBD cluster for serving
/home to all the clients
2. LDAP authentication server
3. VM to serve PXE to all the clients, this serves boot menu
defaulting to fatclient image server(NBD/NFS/AOE) based on client IP
with options to use alternate servers, either dnsmasq or dhcpd+tftp
should work
4. Fatclient image servers can be real machine or VMs serving images,
we limit to using about 70 clients per giga NIC available on the
server, this can scale depending on NICs bonded

We use VMs(kvm) for 2,3,4 so they can be migrated on any cluster node
in case of failure on one of them. All the nodes including file server
use SSD storage.

Unfortunately there is no step-by-step howto, but it is easy to figure
out once you know what exactly is needed.

Cheers

-J