I am currently setting up a new cluster of LTSP-PNP servers running Debian 8.

I have the appropriate settings for adding all authenticated users to various
groups automatically using pam_group.so,  modelled after settings in the
debian-edu-config package and documentation at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LDAPClientAuthentication.

The group membership is correct for the user logged into a thin client, even at
the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1).

Take wireshark, for example. It works fine on the thin client because the user
is in the wireshark group, but I would like it to work on as an LTSP_LOCALAPP.
If it is run as a localapp, it complains about permissions even though the user
is in the wireshark group.

https://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges#Other_Linux_based_systems_or_other_installation_methods
 offers some suggestions:

1. Additional capabilities are suggested to get dumpcap to work, but this
doesn't work for ltsp-localapps or fat clients.

setcap 'CAP_NET_RAW+eip CAP_NET_ADMIN+eip' /usr/bin/dumpcap

On the fat client getcap /usr/bin/dumpcap yields "Failed to get capabilities of
file `/usr/bin/dumpcap' (Operation not supported)".

2. Setting SUID bit on for /usr/bin/dumpcap works for fat clients, but still
doesn't fix the problem for wireshark as a localapp.

chmod u+s /usr/bin/dumpcap

Any ideas?