On 2015-05-03 11:17, Alkis Georgopoulos wrote:
> We've updated our script that disables flow control, and it now works
> for all the NICs that we could test with.
>
> So, LTSP installations that have:
>   * Server <=> switch connection = 1000 Mbps
>   * Clients <=> switch connection = 100 Mbps
>     (either because of the switch or because of the clients)
>   * An unmanaged switch that doesn't allow disabling flow control
>
> ...should read and follow that wiki page:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/FlowControl
>
> In some cases, it makes the local network up to 10 times faster.
>
> Cheers!

f.y.i. an update to all:

On a server with a gigabit onboard nic Qualcomm Atheros AR8131 Gigabit
Ethernet (rev c0) and Ubuntu 12.04 initially the kernel was
3.2.0.92.106. The command

      sudo mii-tool -A "1000baseT-HD 1000baseT-FD 100baseTx-FD
100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD" eth0

did not stop flow control as expected but when the kernel was upgraded
to 3.13 from Ubuntu 14.04 (trusty) (without upgrading anything else)
this command did indeed work.

Not all nics (not even from the same company, e.g. Atheros) behave in
the same way and so this subtlety had gone unnoticed until now.

Alkis Georgopoulos came up with this solution (of upgrading just the
kernel.) Thank you Alki!!

Richard Kweskin