On 03/02/2016 03:00 PM, Mike Cammilleri wrote:
> So LTSP memory/processing requirements can vary widely depending on your
> environment and what your users are doing with it. I get that. But I was
> wondering if someone really had a finer sense on what the requirements
> are for the following situation.

Sorry, but I don't have an answer for something of your scale.  I run at
most 30 concurrent users, many are kiosks and only get used intermittently.

However, my modest 4 core CPU and 8 GB RAM server handles that easily.
That said it doesn't take many runaway processes (Adobe and Mozilla I am
looking at you) to suck up those 4 cores.

Also of concern is the NIC.  One full screen video stream can easily eat
up 500+ Mbps so only two users watching videos means a saturated 1 Gbps
NIC.  Consider putting clients on throttled ports (ex: 10/100 Mbps
ports) or going with 10 Gbps NICs or maybe just blocking access to
obvious resource intensive sites.

Audio is less bad but still significant as each stereo 48 kHz stream is
a couple of Mbps.

So under "normal" load you might get 100 users on a modest server, but
you need to be very diligent about monitoring for resource hogs.

> I think it comes down to which is a better scheduler? VMware or Ubuntu?
> If VMware better utilizes the host resources for the LTSP Server VM and
> the strain the clients put on it, then sure, maybe we'll dedicate one of
> our VMware hosts just to this task. But if Ubuntu is a better resource
> scheduler than VMware then might as well just stick with installing
> Ubuntu directly on the machine and skip any virtualization.

That one is easy: a hypervisor will never give you better performance
than the bare metal server.  Period.  VMs are for flexibility not
performance.  If you don't need to easily move your LTSP server to
different hardware, or share the host resources among multiple guests
then you don't need a VM infrastructure.

That said I am currently working on moving my LTSP server to a KVM guest
primarily for reasons of resiliency.  If I run into any issues I will
simply put it back on bare metal.

Jeff