Look up their CPU score an cpubenchmark.net.
For example:

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/zbox-ci325-nano-windows-10
has CPU=N3160:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+N3160+%40+1.60GHz
which has a CPU score of 1648,
...which is the same as my 10 year old dual core laptop.

A score of > 1000 is required for fat clients.
A score of > 3000 is recommended for new fat clients.

So yes the i3/i5/i7 ones which have score > 3000 are much better.

I don't know about the fans, I haven't tried any Zotacs at all.