On 8/15/23 08:38, Mathieu Desnoyers via lttng-dev wrote:
On 8/14/23 17:05, Olivier Dion via lttng-dev wrote:

After discussing it with Mathieu, we agree on the following 3 phases for
deprecating the signal flavor:

  1) liburcu-signal will be implemented in term of liburcu-mb. The only
  difference between the two flavors will be the public header files,
  linked symbols and library name.  Note that this add a regression in
  term of performance, since the implementation of liburcu-mb adds memory
  barriers on the reader side which are not present in the original
  liburcu-signal implementation.

  2) Adding the deprecated attribute to every public functions exposed by
  the liburcu-signal flavor.  At this point, tests for liburcu-signal
  will also be removed from the project.  There will be no more support
  for this flavor.

  3) Removing the liburcu-signal flavor completely from the project.

Finally, here is a tentative versions release of mine for each phase:

  1) 0.15.0 [October 2023] (also TSAN support yay!)

  2) 0.15.1

  3) 0.16.0 || 1.0.0 (maybe a major bump since this is an API breaking
  change)

There is a distinction between the version number of the liburcu project (0.14) and the ABI soname for the shared objects. We may be able to do step (3) without going to 1.0.0 (I don't see removal of the urcu-signal flavor a strong enough motivation for hitting 1.0.0 yet).

Technically speaking, given that we would be removing the entire liburcu-signal.so shared object, we would not be changing _symbols_ within an existing shared object, therefore I'm not even sure we need to bump the soname for all the other remaining shared objects.

So after merging this commit:

    Phase 1 of deprecating liburcu-signal
The first phase of liburcu-signal deprecation consists of implementing
    it in term of liburcu-mb. In other words, liburcu-signal is identical to
    liburcu-mb at the exception of the function symbols and public header
    files.
This is done by: 1) Removing the RCU_SIGNAL specific code in urcu.c 2) Making the RCU_MB specific code also specific to RCU_SIGNAL in
      urcu.c
3) Rewriting _urcu_signal_read_unlock_update_and_wakeup to use a
      atomic store with CMM_SEQ_CST instead of a store CMM_RELAXED with
      cmm_barrier() around it. We could keep the explicit barriers, but that
      would require to add some cmm_annotate annotations. Therefore, to be
      less intrusive in a public header file, simply use the CMM_SEQ_CST
      like for the mb flavor.

I notice that an application previously built against urcu-signal with
_LGPL_SOURCE defined would have to be rebuilt, which would require a
soname bump of urcu-signal.

So considering that this phase 1 is not really a "drop in" replacement,
I favor removing the urcu-signal flavor entirely before the next release.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

--