On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Yuri Takhteyev <y...@sims.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>> No, the servers to be used are dependent on the user's configuration,
>> not on the rockspec.
>
> Mauricio's question, though, raises an interesting issue of how
> different repositories might be integrated, for more distributed
> system. Allowing rocks to refer to dependencies in other repositories
> would have some interesting effects, good and bad. Worth discussing
> perhaps?

At the very least it's an interesting academic exercise (and I don't
mean that in a derogative way!). I think you summed it up quite well
with "interesting effects, good and bad". Right now I'm working on a
similar problem on the "other end"; handling multiple local trees.
It's a matter of figuring out what should be the semantics. In one
sense, injecting into the rockspecs themselves the idea of multiple
repositories would have an effect slightly analogous to git-submodule
as one project would be "linked" to another (again, with pros and
cons). OTOH, one problem with explicit URLs like this is mirroring.

But before we dive into architectural astronomy, how about we sidestep
this issue by adding the rocks from
http://sputnik.freewisdom.org/rocks/galaxy/ to the main LuaRocks
repository? :) It should be possible to specify their dependencies so
they point properly at each other, if they don't already.

-- Hisham
http://hisham.hm/