On 30 September 2013 10:18, Choonster TheMage <choonster.2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Following Steve Donovan's recent request for more binary rocks, I've
> compiled Windows (MinGW) binary rocks for version 0.2.1-1 of my
> lua_bufflib library.
>
> You can download the rocks from the GitHub release page:
> https://github.com/Choonster/lua_bufflib/releases/tag/0.2.1-1
>
> You'll need to rename the rocks to the format LuaRocks expects by
> removing the `5.1_` or `5.2_` prefix before you can install them.
>
> Hisham, could you please add these to the repository?

We need to have some kind of process if we want binary rocks in the
repository. We have a few binary rocks in the repo, most of them
outdated by now, but they were made by the Kepler team in the early
days of LuaRocks. Redistributing binary code is a sensitive matter,
and compatibility issues are also a concern. LuaRocks can tell apart
modules which are source-compatible with 5.1 or 5.2 through separate
manifests, but it currently does not differentiate a binary rock
compiled for Lua 5.1 or 5.2 if the 'dependencies' entry says something
like "lua >= 5.1, < 5.3". One simple solution would be to host them in
separate server URLs (ie, something like
http://luarocks.org/repositories/contrib-bin-5.2/. There are also
concerns with external library dependencies: how should that work on
Windows with regard to binary rocks?

-- Hisham