On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Hisham <h...@hisham.hm> wrote:

> Pull requests will be most welcome since I won't have lots of time to
> work on it myself (my doctorate's clock is ticking; it's one of the
> reasons why I'm stepping down from curating the repo). So now is the
> time for you to help shaping LuaRocks the way you want it to go
> featurewise! Build-only dependencies? C++/C99 support for the builtin
> type? Globbing notation for listing modules? Integration with testing
> tools? I'll try to coordinate things and keep the design consistent,
> especially with regard to the rockspec format, which should freeze
> again after 3.0.
>
> I'd be super happy to have LuaRocks 3.0 ready by the time of the next
> Lua Workshop. Can we make it?

Hisham,

This is really and great news! I have a thought that perhaps belongs in its
own thread, but it's related to the rockspec.

Has there been a discussion about supporting a 0-conf specification for
modules? I'm sure this isn't a new thought, but just to be clear:

A spec might be defined such that if someone laid out their directory tree
in a specific way, luarocks could generate the rockspec by inspecting the
layout.
Example:
```
$(RockName)  --root directory is project name. Ex: penlight
  -doc  --documentation is in here
  -lua   --lua source root
   --$(RequireName) --dir of lua scripts. Also, name of module used to
require module. Ex: pl
  -src
    --C sources, (*.c, *.h, etc)
  README(.md?) --readme file. Takes first heading and uses it for short
description.First paragraph  for the long description.
  CHANGELOG    --Version is parsed from here.
```

Would this be a Good Thing or a Bad Thing?

-Andrew