Am 26.05.2014 13:49 schröbte Thijs Schreijer:
> Maybe best to add as a request to the issue tracker? [1] as it breaks
> rockspec compatibility, it can then be tagged as a possible 3.0 feature.

Most of the proposal doesn't break rockspec compatibility: Some Rocks
already install static libraries (e.g. LuaPosix). Creating a static
library in addition to the shared library in the "builtin" build mode
just requires one new command line in each compiler backend.

But where do we put the generated include files? One common directory
relative to the rocks tree? In the rocks dir? Do we need a new `luarocks
cflags luafilesystem` command for linking to the static library?

And do we really need the `--static` option? Are there situations where
building a shared library will succeed, but building a static one will not?

(Creating a github issue won't hurt, though, and we can move the
discussion there.)

> Btw; if I understand correctly, it builds only the library to be used for
> static linking? So after installing it using LR one won't be able to use it
> without additional actions. Correct?
>
> Thijs

Philipp