On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 at 10:27, luigi scarso <luigi.sca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2023 at 22:36, Vítek Novotný <wit...@mail.muni.cz> wrote:
>
>> Dear LuaTeX developers,
>>
>> assume the following plain TeX document `example.tex`:
>>
>>     \newwrite\outfile
>>     \openout\outfile\jobname.out
>>     \write\outfile{^^^^fffd}
>>     \closeout\outfile
>>     \bye
>>
>> Running `luatex example` will correctly produce file `example.out` with
>> the
>> UTF-8 encoding of U+FFFD: 0xEF, 0xBF, and 0xBD.
>>
>>     $ hexdump -C
>>     00000000  ef bf bd 0a                                       |....|
>>     00000004
>>
>> Now, let's change `example.tex` as follows:
>>
>>     \input\jobname.out
>>     \bye
>>
>> Running `luatex example` produces the following error:
>>
>>     ! String contains an invalid utf-8 sequence.
>>
>> I would expect that LuaTeX would treat ^^^^fffd and the byte sequence
>> 0xEF,
>> 0xBF, and 0xBD the same. This issue was co-discovered by @lostenderman at
>> <https://github.com/lostenderman/markdown/issues/34>.
>>

> hm, checking it now.

hm I am not able to reproduce the error... My log says,
Missing character: There is no � (U+FFFD) in font cmr10!
but luatex  exits fine

 $ luatex --credits
This is LuaTeX, Version 1.15.1 (TeX Live 2023/dev)

The LuaTeX team is Hans Hagen, Hartmut Henkel, Taco Hoekwater, Luigi Scarso.

LuaTeX merges and builds upon (parts of) the code from these projects:

tex       : Donald Knuth
etex      : Peter Breitenlohner, Phil Taylor and friends
omega     : John Plaice and Yannis Haralambous
aleph     : Giuseppe Bilotta
pdftex    : Han The Thanh and friends
kpathsea  : Karl Berry, Olaf Weber and others
lua       : Roberto Ierusalimschy, Waldemar Celes and Luiz Henrique de
Figueiredo
metapost  : John Hobby, Taco Hoekwater, Luigi Scarso, Hans Hagen and friends
pplib     : Paweł Jackowski
fontforge : George Williams (partial)
luajit    : Mike Pall (used in LuajitTeX)

Compiled with libpng 1.6.39; using 1.6.39
Compiled with lua version 5.3.6
Compiled with mplib version 2.02
Compiled with zlib 1.2.13; using 1.2.13

Development id: 7554