Wayne Bow wrote:
Aloha,

When you start the machine, it will come up to the C:\ prompt, and
the directory listing shows COMMAND.COM and a couple of other
hidden/archive/read-only files.

Sounds to me like "format C: /s" was typed.

If that is true then the data may be recoverable. "format c: /s" formats and copies the system files to the hard drive. Adding the '/u' switch makes the data unrecoverable. I do not know how to 'undo' the format but M$ says it can be done.

I thought microsoft ripped the unformat thing out in Win95 (DOS 7)?

--MonMotha

Try look here:

http://www.computerhope.com/unformat.htm

Good Luck!

Don't know how to help tho, sorry.

If I'm not mistaken , unless the /q options is used, the drive is zero'd
sector by sector, so I think this is a tougher problem then one might
expect.
--Ray