MonMotha wrote:

R. Scott Belford wrote:

Firewall. Did I mention that I had monmotha's firewall on the 7.2 boxes? I
had enabled port 139, but, no go.  Just a little while a go I decided to
flush the chains .... I was suddenly able to browse the shares, from everywhere.

NetBIOS name resolution works by using broadcast. This means that you will need to allow udp port 138 (I believe, whatever netbios-ns is) from 255.255.255.255 if general broadcast is used (as opposed to the subnet broadcast, the last address in the subnet, which is included in your INTERNAL_LAN setting). This poses a problem similar to DHCP.

Run my script, then "iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 138 -i <lan interface> -s 255.255.255.255 -j ACCEPT" should fix the problem.

--MonMotha

Reading what I wrote, it almost sounds like flushing the tables fixed my problem. This only alleviated my ignorance of setting up the tables properly. I had added port 139. Now I understand about port 138. Thanks for the knowledge.
scott