Rodney Kanno wrote:

I am trying to set-up a Linux workstation as a intranet web server on a NT
network, but I cannot figure out how to make the web server accessible
through a virtual host name.

Actually, for future reference "virtual" isn't correct in this context.

Apache is installed and is accessible by entering in the IP address as the URL, but I would like to make it accessible by typing in a name rather
than numbers.

Okay, you've got two options.

1) Add an entry to every machine's %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts file for your webserver. It has the same format as /etc/hosts on linux boxes. for example:

221.222.223.224     mywebserver

You might want to do this if your intranet is small.

2) Run a nameserver that all your clients are configured to use and then just create a zone for your intranet, and query outside nameservers for all other requests (and cache them for performance).

You might want to do this if you have a larger intranet.

Once you've got it working, then add "ServerName mywebserver" (or whatever) to your apache
configuration file.

Do I need Samba installed for this?

No. Samba handles matters dealing with Netbios. This is a matter dealing with hostnames.

--Ray