Talking about prominent "politicians", Warren, your neighbor Ann Kobayashi is probably the best if not the only Hawaii "politician" to understand the value of Linux and other OpenSource stuff.

I am sure everyone knows this: In Hawaii, a city council seat is actually more powerful than a state senate or representative.

Both Mink and Abercrombie held their Honolulu council seats before they ran for the US Congress. (BTW, when I was living in Washington DC, both treated me as if I was one of their buddies; now I would be surprised if either of them recognizes me. :-) )